Tuesday 25 October 2022

LIFE IN PORT NYKUS


I had nothing to write about, during the long journey that took me to the rebuilt city of Port Victoria, nothing will ever be the same as before, that's the saying of the elders, in fact the new city was dark and gloomy, all the old citizens left to found the city of Port Nykus, only Lady Tenka and the administrator named Monkee remained, who to my amazement I met in the person of a real monkey. the kind you meet in the zoos of planet Earth, in a hurry she took me to the homestone, and there she swore me in without any formality, I was truly incredulous at the welcome, I was happy to ask for a job, but she was very evasive, she was waiting for her friend to give him the job of Magistrate, if I wanted I could be a simple Scribe, but the worst thing was when they assigned me my new dwelling, which I normally used in my Oasis for the Kajilli, (a type of land horse), a dark, gloomy and dirty room without windows, a stable.

   When I returned to my ship I ordered the sailors to prepare for departure, we set sail at high tide, went down the river to the town of Olni, where we stayed for a few days, then continued on to the new town of Nykus.
  I had left my slave Fahima, who although I had loved him very much, she still thought of her old master, an adventurer, a gambler who had sold her to me to pay his debts, but then he denounced me saying that I had bought the slave when he was drunk and incapable of understanding, I know the laws well, I could have had that man arrested, but I thought that if the slave was in love with that individual, it was better to leave her to her fate, and forget about my two Silver Tarsk that I had given to the gambler.
   We arrived at the new city, not far from what was the city of Leisure where I had worked and lived, my first meeting was with Amir the one who had been the head of the caste in Victoria but was now only a Scribe, co-founder, he will surely have other duties that are unknown to me for now, I took myself to the Caste palace where I filled out the application and mailed in the mailbox for the head of the caste, in our case a woman who has a complicated name but which I hope I remember.
 

 

     Now I'm sitting here on the seafront, watching the people go by, the ships come and go and I dream of a love that is mine alone
 

  I realised that the town is run by the Bernard family and Sir Jonah is the head of the caste as well as the administrator.
   I am still waiting for an official job, it is true I have been accepted as a Scribe, but I am still waiting to be summoned, in the first days in Nykus, I knew there was the Scribe caste meeting so I asked permission to attend, and to my amazement I realised there are dozens of scribes in this town. and the Magistrate always the same as Port Victoria Sir Ulisses.
    I changed my name, taking the one I was given as a child, when I was adopted to Ship rock in the region of Schendi, Ship Rock is the port of the city of Korat, a fortified city, built on the hill, but which was attacked and destroyed by the Shendi Forest Panthers, which is why we fled to the city of Cartassa in the desert, with my adoptive mother Lady BB Arliss and my father Sir Mith the builder.
   During the meeting I was able to show off my knowledge of the laws, irritating some of the Scribes, who had a different view on the laws of the Planet, they said that there are only the laws of the Ubar of the city, but this is not so, the laws in the planet were written by the Kings, then passed on to the priests who passed them on to the Magistrates, however then I withdrew in silence without offending anyone.
 

Meeting in Scribe caste

  The other day there was a Kajire dance on the square in front of the harbour on the belvedere, and I was very annoyed to recognise my old slave Fhaima in the musician. and not far away sitting in a corner her Master Timmer the adventurous player, without honour, when I asked him the reason for his behaviour outside the law, he told me that the slave was his and he would never have left her to me, going back on his contract, I could appeal to the judge but it is useless to have a slave in your house who loves her old master, she could stab you in the night.
ulissedikorat

No comments:

Post a Comment

 THE TRUE STORY OF THE EMIR Part 1 My name is Orlando, of the el Nairad family, our millenary lineage lived as nomads in the desert for cent...