HELMUT'S VILLAGE – Northern Gor
A journey into the North, harking back to days gone by and memories still vivid from my youth spent among the Sardar Mountains and the northern forests. I had spent my life traveling; after graduating from the Campus and securing a position as a Magistrate in Olni City, I decided to broaden my horizons by visiting various cities along the Sanctuary Route, taking advantage of the pilgrimage required before one turns twenty-five.
I followed the Olni River along the Pilgrim's Road, pausing for a time before continuing on to the Ckearchus Road and eventually reaching the city of Besnit. I stopped there just long enough to witness the Festival of Doctors, then pressed on to Esalinas and finally arrived at Arfax. I had assumed it was the last city before the great forest, but I was mistaken; unexpectedly, I found myself within sight of a village that did not appear on any official maps, so I decided to pay it a visit.
The village was called Helmut (North Gor)—a settlement of typical Viking heritage, featuring ships moored at the docks with red-striped sails and prows bearing the tribe's distinctive emblem.
At first, the place seemed deserted, but as I was reading the village regulations, a large man—clad in furs and fully armed—blocked my path.
He demanded to know who I was and what business I had in a village so far removed from the merchant routes. I was struck by the man; he appeared formidable, yet at the same time, kind and welcoming. "My name is Caeldor Ulrick," he said with a smile,
displaying his powerful physique and a face weathered by the biting winter cold of the Torsland. "I am the village Jarl, but I also run the forge—I craft all the weapons myself—and I handle the reception of the visitors who stop by from time to time."
I looked at him with admiration; I didn't mention my own titles, but told him instead about Hor’s newspaper, the *Gazette of the Moons*, and how I traveled the planet writing about the people and cities I encountered. I said I would be delighted to write a piece about this classic fortified village.
He was thrilled to hear about the paper; not many people in the North could read, but he noted that his village had women skilled in teaching reading and writing. He then escorted me to the Great Hall—the massive house where everyone spent the winter together and where all village life centered.
To my great surprise, I ran into a friend I had met at a fair—Lady Madeleine. She was happy to see me, too. As time passed, other villagers came in to grab a tankard of Kalana and rest for a while. Another caravan had arrived that day, and to my astonishment, I recognized Lady News—a "Keeper" I had met at various fairs where she managed establishments featuring dancers. She told me she was traveling to meet Madeleine.
Others arrived as well, and we waited for Lady Ranaa, who was busy in the infirmary. In the meantime, I made several sketches of the village and its inhabitants—which I have included below, along with the village rules for anyone wishing to visit.
I’ve been assigned a comfortable hut with plenty of furs on the floor and a cozy bed; tomorrow I’ll continue my visit and speak with other inhabitants. In the meantime, thank you for reading—see you soon.
![]() |
| Rhea |
![]() |
| sir Nikita |





















No comments:
Post a Comment